AAPCHO IRB Application Process
Please review AAPCHO IRB Policies & Procedures for detailed requirements.
Applicants are encouraged to notify AAPCHO with an “Intent to Submit” to help ensure that protocols will be reviewed in a timely manner.
Guidelines for notifying “Intent to Submit”
3 weeks before IRB submission deadline (6 weeks before upcoming IRB meeting date): Applicants should inform the IRB Coordinator of their intent to submit, along with a brief abstract/protocol description that includes research background, objectives, methodology with target population, and risks to participants. Please see sample description. If you have more than one submission, please list by priority.
Please note: Applicants must intend to submit a complete application by the deadline date before it can be reviewed. Applications that are incomplete will not be reviewed. Please click here to view the required components. If you need assistance completing your application, please contact the IRB Coordinator.
2 weeks before IRB submission deadline: The IRB Coordinator will notify the applicants if and when their applications will be reviewed. For those with more than one submission, all except one may be put on queue for the next round of review.
Priority will be given to members who have had fewer past submissions.
AAPCHO will notify members that submission is closed after the submission limit is reached for an upcoming meeting.
If applicants do not send in an intent to submit, review will be conducted on a first-come, first-served basis until the submission limit is reached. Applicants may be denied review for an upcoming meeting and will be put on queue for future meetings.
Preparing your application
A. Face Page
Based on the type of review, please submit the appropriate application form as described below.
B. Research Narrative/Proposal
The full protocol is to be included in the application. Please review section 3.1.B in the Policies and Procedures for detailed requirements.
C. Technical Assistance
Please contact the IRB coordinator if technical assistance is required.
Submitting your application
- Request for IRB Review form
- Full narrative
- Informed consent materials. Please see OHRP’s required elements for informed consent. A template can be found here.
- Questionnaires, survey instruments, focus group guides, outlines for semi-structured interviews, advertisements, phone scripts (as appropriate)
- A Financial Conflict of Interest Disclosure form
- An Institutional Review Board (IRB) Authorization Agreement B form
- If you would like to request data from AAPCHO, you must include a signed AAPCHO Data Request form.
- Request for Waiver of Informed Consent form, if applicable.
- If you are requesting a Waiver of Authorization for protected health information, please complete the Request for Waiver of Authorization form.
Researchers may submit a copy of the completed application to the IRB Coordinator, Nicole Nguyen, at email@example.com.
B. Continuation Approval
Submissions for Continuation Approval must include:
- IRB Continuing Review/Study Closure Application form, including status report
- A photocopy of the current IRB approved informed consent form
- Any proposed revisions to the research
C. Submissions for Modification
Modification submissions must include:
- An explanation of the requested modification, its purpose, and its justification
- Modification to Approved Protocol form
- Revised forms, if appropriate (contact letter, consent form, advertisements, etc.)
- Supporting documentation
Submission and Project Tracking
|Three weeks before Review|
Review of Application
Second Tuesday quarterly – tentative
Notification of Results
Two weeks after Review
NOTE** for expedited reviews (e.g. for proposed modifications or IRB requested revisions) Four weeks after receipt
IRB Meeting Dates and Deadlines
Intent to Submit
|January 1, 2019||January 22, 2019||February 12, 2019||February 26, 2019|
|April 2, 2019||April 23, 2019||May 14, 2019||May 28, 2019|
|July 2, 2019||July 23, 2019||August 13, 2019||August 27, 2019|
|October 1, 2019||October 22, 2019||November 12, 2019||November 26, 2019|
Human Subjects Protection Training Resources
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Online Course (Fees may apply)