Public Charge: What Is It & How Changes Might Impact Clinics
May 9, 2018
9 a.m. HST / 12 p.m. PDT / 3 p.m. EDT
AAPCHO and California Primary Care Association (CPCA) health center members are immensely troubled by the recent proposed expansion of the meaning of “public charge.” Public charge is a term used in immigration law to describe an individual who is dependent on the government for material and financial support. A person who is deemed likely to become a public charge is generally ineligible to be admitted to the U.S. or to become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card).
On March 29, the Washington Post released a leaked version of a proposed regulation that would make unprecedented changes to long-standing policy around public charge. This 90-minute webinar will provide an overview of the leaked draft of the public charge regulations, and opportunities to voice our concerns before any changes are finalized. Additionally, you’ll hear how one health center is advocating and learn best practices to mobilize patients and their community around the issue. Lastly, you’ll hear about the National Health Center Immigration Workgroup, which will be co-led by AAPCHO and CPCA in coordination with the National Association of Community Health Centers. We hope that through this workgroup we can help create and align the health center voice around immigrant issues, including public charge.
- Gain a better understanding of the leaked proposal around public charge and how these changes could impact health centers and patients.
- Learn from other health centers how to best prepare PCAs and clinics to submit public comments against the proposed public charge rule.
- Acquire knowledge about the National Health Center Immigrant Workgroup and how to join.
- Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations
- Carmela Castellans-Garcia, CEO, California Primary Care Association
- Gabrielle Lessard, Senior Policy Attorney, National Immigration Law Center
- Asian Health Services
Registration Fee: $45.00 per connection*
*This fee will be waived for AAPCHO member health centers who can register for this webinar for FREE.
To register for this webinar at no cost, AAPCHO members must enter a discount code. If you are an AAPCHO member and have not already received the discount code, please contact us at email@example.com.
(510) 272-9536 x112
Kristine Cecile Alarcon