June 28, 2017
Associate Director of Policy and Advocacy
Protect Medicaid Call-in Day
and Social Media Action on June 28
On June 28, we encourage all AAPCHO members and partners to call their Senators and remind them that Medicaid is essential for health centers and the millions of patients we serve!
While the Senate leadership is currently Republican, we also cannot allow any of our Democrat senators to compromise on the quality and coverage of Medicaid. It is essential for all of our Senators to hear our voices on this issue.
- Set aside time on June 28 to call your senators. See tips and how-tos for calling your elected officials and our Protect Medicaid Toolkit for a call-in script.
- Ask other health center staff, patient leadership and other partners to join in your effort.
- Ask your health center to set aside time and/or space to allow individuals interested to make the call.
- Follow @AAPCHOAdvocates on Twitter, and follow and use #AAPCHO4Medicaid on social media. See our Protect Medicaid Toolkit for sample tweets/posts and shareable graphics.
- If you have any questions, contact Heather Skrabak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AAPCHO Protect Medicaid Toolkit
- Senate Protect Medicaid Talking Points
- AA&NHPI-Serving Health Centers and Medicaid Fact Sheet
Tell senators Medicaid is essential for health centers and the millions of patients we serve!
The U.S. Senate is quickly working to pass legislation to make significant changes to Medicaid and the health care system as a whole. Proposed cuts would severely impact health centers and the patients and communities we serve, including Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders (AA&NHPIs). Senate Leadership has indicated they intend to vote as soon as next week.
The House version would:
- Cause at least 23 million Americans to lose their coverage, including 2 million AA&NHPIs
- End Medicaid as we know it, putting more than 25 million health center patients at risk and impacting over 70 million people who rely on Medicaid for care
- Result in less care and higher costs
Now is the time for us to contact our Senators to tell them that Medicaid is essential for health centers and millions of Americans. Medicaid reimbursement makes up the largest percentage of health center revenue and for AA&NHPI-serving health centers, Medicaid makes up an even larger percentage of revenue than other health centers.